First of all, what is Twitter? On this social network, microblogging site, you can send mini-updates, connect with friends, promote posts, or get & give advice. I will admit to Twitter confusion when first jumping on the bandwagon last year, so hopefully this tutorial will answer some of your basic questions about Twitter.
1. Create an account using the name you'd like to publicly appear as you Twitter.
2. First stop, change your avatar. Go to "Settings" and change your picture. Later on you can personalize your Twitter even more by customizing the background. Also be sure to update your profile by including a one line bio and your blog or business URL.
3. Find friends by clicking on "Find People" and using your email to see who you know that is already connected with Twitter. If there are people or businesses you suspect may be using Twitter, search for them using "Find on Twitter." You can try this out by searching for "coolbabykid." :)
4. Go back to the homepage by clicking "Home" or the "Twitter" icon on the top left of the page. Try it out by sending a message with what you're up to and clicking "Send." This update can be anything from "Using Twitter for the first time," to "Making a grilled cheese sandwich with my daughter," or "Looking for someone to help me figure out vlogging." Twitter is versatile and can be used to connect with friends (virtual or otherwise) or network for business, but usually ends up being a combination of both.
5. When you scroll over others' responses a screen will pop up with a little envelope and an arrow below it. The envelope is for "Direct Messages" which only the person you direct message, or DM, will see. Clicking the arrow allows you to respond to that person, or @ them, but everyone will see your response. On the right sidebar you can see your @ messages and direct messages as well as a list of the people following you and other goodies.
6. The most confusing aspect of Twitter for me when first getting started was understanding who sees what messages...only your followers will see your updates, and in order to DM someone they must be following you. One way to find people to follow and converse with is to click on others people's @ messages and read their profiles.
7. Confused yet? Take it step by step, try a few updates, send me a message and let me know what you think!
All content © 2008 Baby Kid Blogs | Design by Gisele Jaquenod